In the body of an adult live several tiny roommates. Most of them are beneficial and are our coexistence. These include about 500 species of bacteria that live mainly in the intestines. However, many life forms, entering the human body, begin to parasitize and poison the host's health.
One type of unwanted neighbor is the worms. They are parasitic worms that infect the intestines, liver, lungs and, in rare cases, muscles. All types of parasitic worms are called helminths and their infection is helminthiasis.
To answer the question of how to deal with worms, it is necessary to understand how they enter the human body. There are main ways of infection:
- Through the ground when infected with worms that spend part of their life cycle on earth. Eggs or their larvae in the process of growing fall into vegetables and fruits, which are later consumed. Infected with helminths through the soil, the animals then transmit them to humans.
- In contact with an infected person. The larvae can spread through bedding, towels and other items used by an infected patient. According to statistics, helminths are present in the body of 60% of the population, immigrants of Asian descent are a special risk group.
- Eating contaminated meat or fish. Eggs and larvae of worms are destroyed by prolonged exposure to high temperatures.
- Sometimes insect bites can be the cause of the infection.
Once in the human body, the worms multiply actively and release toxic waste. The accumulation and increase in their number increases the symptoms of malaise. To get rid of the parasite, you need to see a doctor and undergo a course of treatment.
Signs of worm infection in an adult
The presence of a parasite in the organs can be detected by external signs. These include skin manifestations that significantly worsen its condition and cause itching. For example, inflammation, acne, cracked heels, stratification of the nails.
Worm infection has similar symptoms to other diseases. The amplification of various events depends on the location of the helminth. In addition to skin rashes, intestinal disorders are characterized by:
- unstable stool;
- special odor from the mouth, increased gas formation.
- motion sickness;
- itching in the anus;
- weight loss with increased appetite.
Parasite toxins also affect the nervous system, causing headaches and irritability. With a significant increase in the number of helminths, memory problems and depression may occur. The immune system is not restored due to lack of vitamins and important elements. A person is constantly sick under the influence of viruses and bacteria. If the respiratory system is affected, coughing and choking may occur.
If you notice these symptoms, you should consult a doctor. A specialist, using the test results and a thorough examination, will determine the form of the parasite and prescribe medication.
Types of helminths that parasitize the human body
The treatment of the disease is prescribed depending on the type of parasite that has settled on the internal organs. Various worms affect certain tissues and cause specific symptoms.
The main forms of parasitic worm infection are distinguished:
- Enterobiasis is formed under the influence of pinworms. Small round organisms are found in the intestines and cause intense itching on the skin of the anus.
- Trichinella penetrates the muscles through the system of blood vessels. The symptoms appear suddenly and unexpectedly in the form of fever, chills, swelling of the eyelids and face.
- Vlasoglavy belongs to the nematodes and affects the large intestine. The signs of the disease are mild or absent. There may be dizziness, abdominal pain, inflammation of the appendix.
- The defeat of different types of film. These include the bovine tape, the wide tape, the pork tape. The parasites live in the intestines, differing in a ribbon-like body, divided into many small parts. Symptoms are characterized by dizziness, abdominal pain, stool disorders.
These forms of invasions are most often caused by poor personal hygiene, the consumption of poorly fried meat. Pets are also a source of the parasite.
If the patient indicates symptoms of a worm infestation, the doctor confirms the diagnosis with the help of laboratory tests. Most often, the stools are tested for helminth eggs and an enzyme immunoassay is performed. In addition, anal abrasions, endoscopy and ultrasound can be studied.
Medicines needed to treat worms
If helminths are found in the human body, the doctor will prescribe medication. To get rid of the disease, many turn to traditional medicine. It is possible to use combination therapy, but its effectiveness will be monitored by a specialist.
The presence of worms in the internal organs is not a dangerous diagnosis if the disease is detected in time and a course of medication is prescribed. Their effect will be aimed at destroying the parasite that poisons the body of the infected. After the removal of helminths and their metabolic products, human health is restored.
Due to the need to suppress the parasite, the composition of the drugs will contain ingredients that affect their ability to absorb nutrients. Lack of nutrition and breeding conditions will lead to the death of worms.
Drugs depending on the type of effect on worms are divided into the following types:
- The active ingredients block the nervous and muscular system of the worms. They develop paralysis, can not attach to the intestinal wall and are eliminated from the body.
- The drug interferes with the oxidation processes of glucose in the body of the parasite, which causes their death.
- Drugs that inhibit the formation of cellular tubulin and the synthesis of ATP.
- Drugs that affect the intestinal system of the helminth.
- Ingredients that destroy the shell of worms. They are exposed to calcium and digested by the human intestinal tract.
There are drugs that are widely used and that target a certain type of helminth. The choice of medication is made by the doctor based on the examination, the severity of the symptoms and the method of treatment. In addition, the presence of possible contraindications to the use of the drug is taken into account.
In addition, funds are prescribed that eliminate the occurrence of allergic reactions to parasite toxins. Taking these tablets reduces the level of worm poisoning and relieves the symptoms of the disease. The auxiliary ingredients are used individually for the complex course of helminthiasis.
Atypical methods of treating helminthiasis
The use of drugs is particularly effective in combating worms. The only disadvantage of drugs is their contraindications. For such cases, non-drug treatment is used:
- oxygen exposure;
- alcohol treatment.
The Ayurvedic system of Indian medicine raises the general tone of the body, restores vitality and helps fight helminths. According to this teaching, the cause of worm infection is the lack of personal hygiene and the purity of thoughts. Special exercises are used to maintain health and laxative decoctions. Herbs in combination with hot spices cleanse the body of toxins. Successfully used thyme, wormwood, asparagus with a break in the course for a week.
The essence of oxygen therapy is the saturation of the cells of the gastrointestinal tract with the appropriate gas. To do this, a tube is inserted into the esophagus and oxygen is passed through it. The process is repeated for several days. Ozone therapy is also used to kill worms. The tube is inserted into the anus with this method. An ozone-oxygen mixture is provided through it, paralyzing the helminths. Olive oil and ozone enemas are sometimes used.
Alcoholic beverages are used as an ingredient in therapy. Cognac and tea are mixed in equal amounts and then drunk on an empty stomach with laxative. Cognac is used as an independent medicine, a tablespoon for five days. Destroys helminth infusion of vodka with garlic for 10 days.
Traditional medicine methods in the treatment of worms
The variety of folk remedies allows you to choose the best for each case of infection. The natural ingredients that affect parasites include the following:
- Pumpkin and flax seeds combined with laxative decoctions.
- Infusions of wormwood, pomegranate.
- Garlic and onion herbicides.
- Ginger root with sugar.
- Dried clove seeds, ground in a coffee grinder.
- Enemas with castor oil and baking soda.
The choice of recipe depends on the types of helminths that live in the body. Based on the test results, the parasitologist will select the optimal combination of different treatment methods.
Ways to protect against worm infection
Maintaining health is possible without prejudice to the rules of personal hygiene in all cases. Hands should be washed with soap and water after visiting public places and traveling by public transport. It is necessary to monitor the cleanliness of the underwear and prevent the accumulation of dirt under the nails.
Pets should be dewormed every six months. After contact with stray dogs and cats, it is important to clean the surface of the hands with antibacterial soap.
Vegetables, fruits and herbs should be eaten well washed. Meat and fish must be cooked at high temperature for at least 40 minutes.
Adherence to these recommendations will help prevent infection and subsequent treatment.